Sunday, June 15, 2008

Thoughts of the little ones

No one really needs to read this lengthy little piece if they don't feel like it. I won't promise that it will be well written, but there have been a lot of things on my heart I would like to at least attempt to put down somewhere...
This last month or so I have been thinking a lot about the lives of 3 little children who have directly and indirectly affected my life. 2 of them have been on Jeff's side of the family and I only know them through their funerals I attended. The other is a boy named Jackie who I had the privilege to teach in my preschool class 2006-2007 at JMS school for the Deaf. My heart goes out to the grieving families and friends of these sweet children.
I wonder if I could handle the pain of losing my own precious daughter for this time in mortality as well as the family members I have seen of these children. What strength those I have heard speak of their little ones passing have exemplified. What examples and testimonies of the Living Savior have touched my heart. I know God lives. I know He has a plan for each and every child that is sent to this earth. I know we are placed in our individual families for a reason and that we are to learn from each other, strengthen each other and love each other.
Just as importantly we are placed in other peoples' lives for a reason. Be it, at school, work, the grocery store, Sunday school, or other places in our day to day living, there are people who will impact us and those we will impact for good or bad. I am so grateful for those people who through their interactions and examples to me, have helped to mold me to be the person I am today.
I think back on my interactions with sweet little Jackie and ask myself, "Did I treat him the best I could every day?" , "Did I show him enough attention?" , "Will I be able to report before the Lord that I loved him the best I knew how?". I pray that I was kind when I woke him from his afternoon naps everyday. He was the biggest sleepy head I had ever seen. I pray I was patient as he got frustrated with the other children who would cut in front of him in line. Man, he hated that! I pray that I am more patient and kind to all I come in contact every day ahead of me because of that little boy. I hope to see him one day again and thank him for what he taught me and for his desire to learn, to communicate and to let me see his eyes light up when our communications clicked.
I know the Lord has great plans ahead for all 3 of these little ones who have recently been lost to us on this earth. He has plans for us too. I just hope I can comply and have an open, humble heart to learn what He wants me to learn and do what He wants me to do.
I thank my Heavenly Father for the blessings of family in my life and for the knowledge I have of the Atonement and Eternity.

2 comments:

Katie and Jason said...

Well make me cry why don't ya. ;) that was a nice post Becca. I love you. You are great.

Becca said...

Wow, you said it all Becca... Thanks! You guys are the best! We love you & will MISS YOU LIKE CRAZY!!!!!! :(